Blogs > Lions Lowdown

One thing you can count on with the Detroit Lions is that they are never, ever boring. Follow the latest news including injuries, roster moves and more here daily from Oakland Press beat writer Paula Pasche. Plus you'll find regular commentary about the team.

10/27/2014

Detroit Lions — Matt Prater explains the miss before game-winner


Matt Prater became the Detroit Lions’ hero when he kicked the 48-yard game-winning field goal at Wembley Stadium in the 22-21 win over the Falcons.

It wasn’t as smooth as it should have been. That's putting it mildly.

Prater missed on the first attempt of 43 yards, the Lions got a delay of game penalty and were moved back five yards.


Prater explained to reporters that he was hurried on the first attempt.

“I got out there late, the clock was running obviously and so I rushed it. Sam (Martin, the holder) told me to hurry, I looked at the clock when I was taking my steps back and I think there were three seconds,’’ Prater said.

“I actually slipped a little bit, but in my head I kind of knew it was going to be a delay of game and I know a game can’t end on a penalty. The footing was bad at that spot so I was happy to move it back,’’ he added.

So he had more time to prepare for the second attempt which set him at ease.

“Just because if you miss one, you better not miss again,’’ Prater said. “Like I said, it was a team win and they set it up, so I have to do my part and come through. I think the team would have wanted to kill me on the plane ride back, so it worked out for everybody.”

Prater was three of three on field goals at Wembley where the footing was not the best.

In three games for the Lions, Prater is 5 of 7 on field goal attempts. In 2013, he was 25 of 26 for the Broncos.

The Lions returned from London early Monday morning. They have a bye this week.

(Follow @PaulaPasche on Twitter. Order her book,  “100 Things Lions Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die’’ here. It’s also available at bookstores.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home