Blogs > Lions Lowdown

One thing you can count on with the Detroit Lions is that they are never, ever boring. Follow the latest news including injuries, roster moves and more here daily from Oakland Press beat writer Paula Pasche. Plus you'll find regular commentary about the team.

7/27/2011

No frenzy for Lions' new safety Erik Coleman

ALLEN PARK — It’s a week of NFL free agent frenzy, but not for safety Erik Coleman who signed with the Lions as a free agent in February after he was released by Atlanta.

He’s pleased not to be a part of the craziness.

“I was extremely happy on several different levels. On one I would know where I was going once the lockout was figured out. I knew what town I was going to, what team I’d be playing for, ‘’ Coleman said Wednesday morning.

“On the other hand after I got released it was kind of quick that I got picked up. Detroit seemed like they had a need for me, that they wanted me here. It’s always a good feeling to be wanted. That was another positive thing about coming here. My wife’s excited about it, it’s a great area we live in,’’ he added.

The 29-year-old Coleman, who played at Washington State, was released by the Falcons on Feb. 9 and signed to a one-year deal by the Lions on Feb. 18.

Coleman drove up from Atlanta Friday with a car full of stuff to start the move. His pregnant wife and 2-year-old will arrive this week. During the informal player workouts he found a place to live.

Coleman is expected to start opposite Louis Delmas. Even though he’s worn No. 26 his whole career, he didn’t even ask Delmas for it. He’ll wear No. 24 for the Lions, the same number that CB Tye Hill wore last year.

(Follow me on Twitter @PaulaPasche.)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home