Blogs > Lions Lowdown

One thing you can count on with the Detroit Lions is that they are never, ever boring. Follow the latest news including injuries, roster moves and more here daily from Oakland Press beat writer Paula Pasche. Plus you'll find regular commentary about the team.

5/18/2011

Dre Bly works out with Lions, hopes to play again

BEVERLY HILLS — An old familiar face appeared at the Lions informal workout on Wednesday at Birmingham Detroit Country Day.

Cornerback Dre’ Bly, who played with the Lions from 2003 to 2006, worked out with the defensive backs after an invitation by S Erik Coleman.

Bly was back in training camp with the Lions last summer, but was cut before the season started and never hooked on with another team. Still at age 33, he’ll be 34 on Sunday, he feels he has football left.

“I feel like it’s sort of in a veteran’s favor, like me, because the undrafted free agents, those guys can’t sign right now. Guys like them, the time they have to show who they are to impress coaches and teams is times like now,’’ Bly said. “It sucks for them. For veterans, for a guy like me, it ain’t a good thing, but I’m going to keep myself fresh just in case.’’

Bly still lives in metro Detroit. He works out at Lifetime Fitness (where he continually is asked about football) and plays pickup basketball to help stay in shape.

Even though he was cut by the Lions, he is not bitter. In fact, he watched the Lions play last season carefully.

“I was proud of those guys,’’ Bly said. “I felt like I was still family because I was with those guys in camp. They all called me granddaddy, Lou (Delmas) even today he called me granddaddy. ... I sort of kept my distance, I wasn’t bitter, but I kept my distance. But it’s good to see the guys.’’

Is there a Lions’ roster spot for Bly next season? No one knows, but if they’re looking for a corner who can also play special teams he is probably not the guy.

(Follow me on Twitter @PaulaPasche.)

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger russ said...

HEY DRE YOU GOT MY VOTE I STILL FEEL YOUR A SHUT DOWN CORNER
KEEP THE FAITH I STILL FEEL YOUR
PART OF THERE FAMILY YOU WILL BE
GREAT TO HAVE COME TIME FOR THE PLAYOFF PUSH RUSS A 52YEAR FAN

9:29 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home