Blogs > Lions Lowdown

One thing you can count on with the Detroit Lions is that they are never, ever boring. Follow the latest news including injuries, roster moves and more here daily from Oakland Press beat writer Paula Pasche. Plus you'll find regular commentary about the team.

3/17/2010

Lions QB Shaun Hill is fine with backup role

ALLEN PARK — Shaun Hill seems to have the perfect attitude. The Lions’ new quarterback knows full well that Matthew Stafford is the starter, but he’s OK with that.

“My role here is defined and I’m fine with that. It was always up in the air there (San Francisco). The last two years everything was up in the air. Either you are or you’re not, here I’m not. I’m totally fine with that, I know my role and I’ll be great with the role,’’ Hill said Wednesday.

The Lions got Hill in a trade with the San Francisco 49ers where he played the last four seasons. In exchange, they sent a seventh-round draft pick for 2011 westward.

Hill was 10-6 as a starter for the 49ers from 2007 to 2009, but lost his starting role last season to Alex Smith.

“I’m very competitive, everybody wants to play. But I don’t have an ego, I’m a team guy, team first. What’s best for this team is for Matthew to go out and have a successful season, and for me to step in if need be,’’ Hill said. “I’ve always been a team guy, even when things went down in San Francisco the way they did I still showed up to work, I did my film study with Alex, I helped him out as much as I could. I don’t have that type of ego. I can put that on the back burner and accept my role.’’

With that temperament, he should be a good fit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home