Blogs > Lions Lowdown

One thing you can count on with the Detroit Lions is that they are never, ever boring. Follow the latest news including injuries, roster moves and more here daily from Oakland Press beat writer Paula Pasche. Plus you'll find regular commentary about the team.

2/27/2010

NFL Combine: McCluster could help Lions

INDIANAPOLIS — Would Dexter McCluster look good in Honolulu blue and silver? Maybe we’ll know one day, maybe not.

McCluster, who played at Ole Miss, is working out at this NFL Combine as both a running back and wide receiver.

Of course, the Lions need help in both areas. But perhaps McCluster’s greatest value to the Lions would be as a kick and/or punt returner. His special teams play is a highlight of his resume.

“It’s been a big impact. A lot of people say they see me at kickoff return, punt return. They ask me, ‘Which do I like best?’ I told them punt return. I love that you have to think a little quicker. I love that,’’ McCluster said this morning (Saturday).

“My quickness and ability to stop and go, I believe, is a big aspect of my game. I always want to be a gunner on the punt team. I love doing that. I tried to get on it this year, but coach wouldn’t let me do it to save me. But that’s something I love,’’ he added.

Lions general manager Martin Mayhew said on Friday he has guys who can return including Derrick Williams, Aaron Brown and Dennis Northcutt. But last season there was no consistency on returns. A returner must be somewhere on Mayhew’s lengthy wish list.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home