Blogs > Lions Lowdown

One thing you can count on with the Detroit Lions is that they are never, ever boring. Follow the latest news including injuries, roster moves and more here daily from Oakland Press beat writer Paula Pasche. Plus you'll find regular commentary about the team.

11/12/2008

Culpepper's the starter

There are no secrets when it comes to quarterback this week for the Lions.

Lions coach Rod Marinelli said Wednesday that Daunte Culpepper will make his second straight start Sunday at Carolina. Culpepper was 5-of-10 passing for 104 yards in his Detroit debut last week, when he started five days after signing a two-year contract.

Culpepper was rusty as expected in three quarters against Jacksonville, when he was operating with only about 35 plays - all tucked inside a wristband on each arm.

"He got one under his belt right now," Marinelli said. "He's coming out here and he's just a worker, you can see that. He just looked, every day he's out here he's just getting better and better faster. ... I would expect every day and every week really a major step from him."

Culpepper said no one has informed him he'll start against the Panthers. Regardless, he said he's preparing as if he'll get the majority of the snaps again. Drew Stanton played the entire fourth quarter and one goal-line series early against Jacksonville.

"I've always tried to live by the creed good players don't make the same mistakes twice," said Culpepper, a three-time Pro Bowler in Minnesota. "I try to learn from my mistakes, just try to get better, just try to get more acclimated with the whole system and I'm just trying to move forward every day. So everything I can, every meeting, every snap in practice, I'm just trying to get a little bit better. I think it does help. The more reps that I get I will get better, I can say that."

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home