Blogs > Lions Lowdown

One thing you can count on with the Detroit Lions is that they are never, ever boring. Follow the latest news including injuries, roster moves and more here daily from Oakland Press beat writer Paula Pasche. Plus you'll find regular commentary about the team.

3/07/2008

My All-America ballot

Selection Sunday is just over a week away so I'm turning my attention from the Lions for a minute. I cast my All-America and all-district ballots this morning for the United States Basketball Writers Association and here's what I had:

North Carolina's Tyler Hansbrough was my Player of the Year, narrowly edging out Kansas State freshman Michael Beasley. The rest of my team: Chris Douglas-Roberts, Memphis; Kevin Love, UCLA; Shan Foster, Vanderbilt; Luke Harangody, Notre Dame; D.J. White, Indiana, A.J. Price, UConn, Brook Lopez, Stanford; and D.J. Augustin, Texas.

For all-district (Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota and Wisconsin), I gave Harangody the nod over White as Player of the Year. My other eight: Eric Gordon, Indiana; Robbie Hummel, Purdue; Brian Roberts, Dayton; Mike Green, Butler; Jamar Butler, Ohio State; Raymar Morgan, Michigan State; Dominic James, Marquette; Drew Lavender, Xavier.

It wasn't a particularly strong district after the first seven. Wisconsin's Brian Butch, MSU's Drew Neitzel, Bradley's Jeremy Crouch, Southern Illinois' Randal Falker and Osiris Eldridge of Illinois State were among others receiving consideration. I wouldn't argue with any of them, but I thought Morgan, James and Lavender had better overall years.

For Coach of the Year, I went with Purdue's Matt Painter over Wisconsin's Bo Ryan. Ryan might win the league honor with the Badgers taking the Big Ten, but Painter did a wonderful job meshing young talent together and got his team to play lights-out defense.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home