Blogs > Lions Lowdown

One thing you can count on with the Detroit Lions is that they are never, ever boring. Follow the latest news including injuries, roster moves and more here daily from Oakland Press beat writer Paula Pasche. Plus you'll find regular commentary about the team.

9/14/2006

Random thoughts

Three random thoughts entering Week 3 of the college football season:

1. If you missed my Big Ten column that ran in our paper Wednesday, I spoke with Herman Matthews, the mathematician who publishes the Matthews/Scripps computer rankings that were formerly used by the BCS. Matthews had 1-AA New Hampshire ranked sixth in his poll this week, and even he agrees that's laughable. Fact is, it's so early these polls are easily sewed by one big win, especially if it comes on the road.

The AP poll, which I vote in, is often guilty of the same crime. I got an email Sunday asking why I didn't move Ohio State up to No. 1 in my poll (I have the Buckeyes third, behind USC and Auburn) after its big win at Texas. One, because I still believe USC will win the national title. And two, because I can't shake up my entire poll every week. If LSU wins at Auburn this week, do I make the Tigers No. 1? I think LSU is a better team right now than Texas, and I've had Auburn ranked ahead of OSU all year.

Just like with Matthews' poll, our more subjective rankings will play themselves out. USC was mighty impressive in Week 1 at Arkansas, and the Trojans play a pretty good Nebraska team this week. If they struggle, I'll re-evaluate where I rate them then.

2. Matthews, by the way, has picked the straight-up winner in 82 percent of the college football games played this year. That's a pretty remarkable number - I challenge you to do better if you think you can. Why do you care? Well, if you're a Michigan of Michigan State fan you should know his formula predicts wins by Notre Dame and Pitt this week, and by rather large margins.

3. I'm convinced Temple coach Al Golden is crazy because, well, he took the Temple job. Golden is a bright, young coach, a man who played under Joe Paterno and spent five years as defensive coordinator at Virginia. Surely, he could have waited for a better job, but he was itching to get his start so he signed on with the worst program in Division I. In some ways it's a no-lose situation. No one really expects Temple to turn around. But I had the occasion to chat with Golden at MAC media day back in July, and he sincerely believes he can build a winner. Like I said, I believe he's crazy, and I also believe Minnesota will rush for 350 yards against his Owls this week.

4. One extra thought for good measure. Keep Indiana coach Terry Hoeppner in your prayers this week. Hoeppner underwent brain surgery the other day for the second time in a year. There's lots of speculation around Bloomington about what exactly ails Hoeppner, but no official word. Regardless, one of the more likeable coaches in the Big Ten deserves better fate and a full and speedy recovery.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home